TV reptile expert Mark O’Shea rushed to hospital after being bitten by deadly cobra
Posted by Xeno on August 22, 2012
World-renowned reptile expert and TV wildlife personality Mark O’Shea had to be airlifted to hospital – after being bitten by a killer King Cobra.
Snake enthusiast O’Shea, 56, had a lucky escape after the massive 10ft (3m) reptile clamped its jaws around his leg at West Midlands Safari Park on Sunday afternoon.
The deadly cobra – whose venom is strong enough to kill an elephant – dug its fangs into the reptile curator’s leg during a routine feed.
First aid staff armed with life-saving anti-venom rushed to O’Shea’s aid due to fears that the deadly poison had entered his bloodstream.
But thanks to their quick thinking paramedics arrived to find him suffering no serious effects from the bite.
O’Shea – best known as the presenter of the Discovery Channel series ‘O’Shea’s Big Adventure’ and Channel 4′s ‘O’Shea’s Dangerous Reptiles’ – was airlifted to Worcester Royal Hospital where his condition was yesterday described as “stable”.
He was expected to be discharged from hospital this afternoon.
Speaking from his hospital bed yesterday, O’Shea played down the bite from the king cobra – the world’s longest venomous snake – and described it as “just a nick.”
He said: “It was an accident. It was just a nick really.
“Sometimes there are accidents at work but it’s just these sort of ones are a lot more interesting to people. …